re: RearSprings TR-3A

To: Jeff.A.Williamson@jci.com
Subject: re: RearSprings TR-3A
From: "Brad Kahler" <brad.kahler@141.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 08:34:09 +0100
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Jeff,

The spacer goes on the passenger side because the rear end is mounted on
top of the leaf springs instead of underneath as on most american made
vehicles.  If you think about it you'll see what I mean....!

> Barry Hammel worote:
>
> >Restarting a restoration that PO sold to me in boxes.
>
> >Cleaning up the rear springs, I noticed one spring has two short pieces on
>top
> >of longest leaf.  Pieces are 3.5" long appear to be be same metal as all
>leafs
> >with same amount of corrosion.  Look to be stock and original as do the
>center
> >bolts.
>
> >If installed one side of vehicle would be about 3/8 inch higher.  I recall
> >comment sometime ago, not sure if from this list or Healey list that some
> >vehicles had something like this to compentate for "driver only" driving to
> >keep rear level (maybe a racing list)
>
> >Am I losing it or is this correct????  TIA
>
> When I removed the rear springs from my '60 TR3A, I noticed something
>similar.
> Mine had one short piece sitting at the top. It was about 3" long and the
>same
> thickness as the long leaf. Also looked to be stock, but the puzzling thing
> was, it was on the passenger side only. Go figure?!?
>
> Jeff Williamson
> Belleville, MI
> '58 TR3A
> '60 TR3A

Brad  (Lincoln Nebraska 402-464-1502)
My Triumph Web Site Http://www.141.com/triumphs (updated 4/29/99)
My Dodge Web Site Http://www.141.com/dodge (updated 4/7/99)

1964 Spitfire4 BFC25720L
1962 TR4 CT288L          -- 1965 TR4 CT38888LO parts car?
1959 TR3A TS41311L       -- 1959 TR3A TS53523L parts car
1951 1/2 ton Dodge Truck B-3-B-108