Re: TR6 Exhaust Leak

To: "The List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR6 Exhaust Leak
From: "Steve Nabors" <topdown@eudoramail.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 21:02:58 -0700
I assume the manifold studs are not stripped. One of mine were and another had
backed itself out of the manifold. I wound up taking the whole manifold off and
putting 4 new studs in. After letting them soak for a couple of days in liquid
wrench, the old ones came out real easy with a pair of vise grips and a rubber
mallet. After putting it all back together everything was fine for a few weeks
and then another exhaust leak(at the manifold/downpipe). This time it was the
brass nuts backing themselves off the studs(even though I used lock washers) so
I bought 4 more brass nuts and locked em down(2 nuts per stud) and reused the 4
week old downtube gasket. No problems since. If you had problems right off the
bat and everything is tight then I'd say the downpipe is torqued over in some
way so that it is not flush. The solution there is to loosen the mid pipes and
then tighten the manifold to downpipe first, then the downpipe to midpipes and
so on down the exhaust line. This way you are assured that the downpipe(having
now outside forces on it) is flush and tight. Good luck!