RE: Transmission rebuild

To: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Transmission rebuild
From: "Philip E. Barnes" <peb3@cornell.edu>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 14:23:59 -0400
At 2:06 PM -0400 9/21/99, Tony Rhodes wrote:
>Expect the layshaft to be toast (that is what probably failed)
>New roller bearings on the layshaft and the input shaft.  The big
>ball bearing affairs rarely fail.  Fine tune the bushing thrust washer
>clearances (an afternoon's work), then you slap it all back together!

I'll probably be doing this myself this winter. My gearbox is making noises
it shouldn't and it's getting easier to beat the synchros in fourth.

Is it prefered to inspect the gearbox  before ordering parts or can I be
reasonably sure the usual kit will cover it?

Phil Barnes (peb3@cornell.edu)
'71 TR6  CC61193L (22 year owner)

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.