RE: TR6 Oil Pump

To: Bob Hutton <bob@calc.com.au>
Subject: RE: TR6 Oil Pump
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 09:54:58 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Thu, 23 Sep 1999, Bob Hutton wrote:

> Bob,

Hi Bob...

> What's the difference between the early and late style?

There's two major differences...

1. The pickup on the early style is cast aluminum. It has a small
rectangular pickup. The later style uses a mushroom shaped pickup screen
that represents more surface area then the earlier one. The later style
also allows you to adjust the length a bit, this would be useful if you
modified the oil pan, for instance.

2. The pump body (and internals) is a little "shorter". Not a lot, maybe
1/4 inch or so (if that), but presumably the new one has a higher flow-rate.

Thus, the new style pump flows more oil and is less prone to problems if
there are any restrictions to the oil flow... you know, like that plastic
bag you couldn't find after you bolted to pan back on... ;-)

The old stlye pump was pretty much unavailable from a long time ago. They
probably work fine for normal street driving. Unfortunately, my driving
style is hardly "normal". Well, it's normal for me. I do get strange
looks from local gendarmes from time to time...

> Regards,
>
> Bob Hutton

Later,
rml
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |