TR4 Gear Box Rebuild : Churchhill Tools

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR4 Gear Box Rebuild : Churchhill Tools
From: Will Daehler <wdaehler@execpc.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 1999 23:03:51 -0500
My next project of my TR4 restoration will be to rebuild my gearbox. I
started out by reading the Bentley shop manual and the TRF glovebox and
the Moss catalogs.

TRF offers a rebuild kit which includes the bearings,seals and synchro
rings.  This is for about $179, which seems very reasonable.

The tricky part is justifying the $99 circlip remover and the $99
circlip installer.  Seems a bit outrageous, but they may be worth it if
they came with a guarantee that's really all I'll need to be successful.

Those are just two tools of a dozen Churchhill tools that the Bentley
manual mentions that are needed to do a gear box rebuild.

Here's a listing:

20.SM.90        Remover for Driving Flange
20S.63          Rear Extension Remover
S4235A          Input shaft Remover
S.4222A1 with
S.4221A-2       Rear Ball Race Remover
20.SM.69        Mainshaft Circlip Remover
S.145           Circlip Installer Tool
S.314           Abutement Plate
no number       Counter shaft Bearing Installer Tool
20.SM.76        Tapered Pilot
20.SM.73.A      Oil Seal Driver
20.SM.47        Oil Seal Protector

 Apart from that, the job looks routine.  Anyone with a suggestion?
Past wisdom?  Pitfalls? Suggestions? Old tools for sale?  Uninstalled
kits you don't want? Circlip removers that you want to share? 5 speed
websites in New Zealand?

Will Daehler
63 TR4
Digest