Re: '72 TR6 Choke put on a '74 TR6 Carb

To: TRIUMPHS@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: '72 TR6 Choke put on a '74 TR6 Carb
From: Tim Gaines <mtgaines@cs1.presby.edu>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 13:03:56 -0500
>My rear carb on my '74 TR6 is leaking out the cold start valve(choke)
>assembly >center shaft screw hole. I took it apart and there are no
>gaskets to renew, put >it back together and it promptly leaks again. My
>carbs are working fine >otherwise. The front cold start valve(no rear
>listed) in the Vicky Brit >magazine sells at about $100. I can get a set
>of good used carbs('72 TR6) for a >little more and would rather do so for
>other parts(needles,dampers,etc) as >well. Does anyone know(or have tried)
>putting the cold start valve from a '72 >carb on a '74? Should I just
>rebuild the '72's and throw them onto the car and >part the '74's?

Mine did that after a rebuild.  There were no gaskets for the cold start
assemblies.  However, when I posted a question to the list, several
replied that there IS a gasket available; probably necessary after a
rebuild but maybe not installed originally.  At least one of the big
three suppliers shows it in their catalog, but I can't remember which
one.  Anyway, when I installed the gasket the leak stopped.  Good luck.

Tim Gaines
1974 TR6
1980 Spitfire