RE: substitutes for obsolete TR6 parts??

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: substitutes for obsolete TR6 parts??
From: "Hansen, Hans C, III (Red), GLSVC" <rhansen@att.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 07:17:01 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Winnie --
I pulled my leaking gas tank out, had it patched, and I'm about to paint it
(using the Super Starter Kit and a can of Tank Sealer from POR-15; total
about $27) and reinstall it. While I was at it, I re-painted the entire boot
a non-original black just as a temporary measure to protect from future rust
since I plan to paint the entire car black.
Then I had to ask myself what I was going to do about the anti-rattle felt
strips and other felt pieces in the boot and on the tank that I removed?
Well, I went to Joann's Fabrics and purchased one square yard of black felt
($10.99 + tax). This felt is sold by JoAnn's for automotive applications.
But, I found it to be too thin. I asked the woman sales assistant who was
helping me if she knew of any way to thicken and stiffen the felt. She said
to buy some iron-on backing called Heat 'n Bond ($1.99 + tax). Supposedly,
this will make the felt strips and pads I plan on making very close to the
size, weight, look and function, of the original felt. If it does work, it
will have cost less than $14, which isn't a bad investment.
Additionally, if you don't like the flimsiness of felt as an anti-rattle
material, especially under the gas tank, then perhaps you could go to a
floor covering store and purchase a carpet fitting tile (my term) for office
floor applications. These "tiles" are rubber-backed carpeting, about 6"x18"
(or so) usually applied against the outside perimeter of a room or where a
less-than-normal sized carpet tile is needed. Since they are re-carpeting an
area in my company's building, I "borrowed" a tile from the scrap pile. The
only problem is the color of the carpet, but since this material is hidden
from view under the gas tank and behind the liner board kit, it may not be
of any concern.
Just some ideas....
Hope this helps.
Red Hansen