Paint and body shop recommendations - SE Michigan

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Paint and body shop recommendations - SE Michigan
From: "Dean Mericas" <dmericas@limno.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 11:57:08 -5
Comments: Authenticated sender is <lti-ntbdc/dmericas/dmericas@lti-ntbdc.limno.com>
The 14-year old paint job on the TR4 is starting to come apart, and I
am starting to scout out paint and body shops to do the work.

The primary problem is with several places where rusted areas were
patched poorly in the past, and the patches are starting to bubble
on me.  The worst of these is the rear fenders, where the seams have
been filled in, apparently to cover holes on either side of the
seams.  Ideally, I'd like to fix it right, and have proper metal
patches welded in.

I've already spoken with two collision-type shops, and they were
pretty discouraging.  One guy basically said that the fabrication of
decent patches is so expensive that it's not worth fixing unless I
can find replacement fenders and extensions. The implication was
that I'd be better off not fixing the body-work.  The rest of the
car is in excellent condition, and this seems pretty extreme, but I
don't really know much about these things.

I suspect that I need to find a shop that deals with LBCs
on a regular basis.  Can anyone recommend a paint and body shop in
the SE Michigan area that would be worth talking to about this?

Thanks.
Dean Mericas, Ann Arbor, MI  (dmericas@limno.com)
1965 TR4 (CT37089L)
1973 Volvo 1800ES (0004553)