RE: Excuse my o/d gloat

To: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Excuse my o/d gloat
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 09:57:16 -0600charset="iso-8859-1"

Don't know about A-type ODs but my J-type with stock Michelin Redlines turns
2500 @ 70mph <http://www.gumbi.com/peterz/tmp/70mph.jpg>.

Another interesting point about Laycock de Normanville ODs...

If you look underneath the car at the O/D unit, you will see an ID plate
with a bunch of text on it (sort of like the commission plate on the body).
Part of this plate text is a number. For example mine (J-type) is 25/115876
002757.

Apparently the number at the start of the sequence (25 in my case)
represents the percentage by which the engine speed is reduced by the O/D.
So for mine, when the O/D is engaged the engine RPM decrease by 25% from the
direct drive RPM (in the same gear and at the same speed of course).

The last number sequence (002757 for mine) is the unit serial number. I
don't know what the middle number (115876) represents.

I think A-types on Triumphs used a 22% reduction. Other cars with ODs
(Volvos, MGs, Healeys, etc) might have used different ratios.

--- Peter Zaborski  CF58310UO ---