Re: Garage Heat

To: fergie@ntplx.net
Subject: Re: Garage Heat
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 22:21:48 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Hey,

Well, it's warmer "down south" in CT, but I'll offer a few words.

With an insulated work suit, it is possible to work in the garage 'till it
gets to the mid to low 30's without pain or frostbite. ;-). Once it gets
into the 20's, though, well let's say it gets a little tough to pick up
those little screws and nuts when you drop them!

Seriously, there's only a few choices.

One of the best options is a heater from a mobil home. I know several folks
that have done this. And this can be cheap. One guy I know paid about $50
for the heater. Get a tank and use _kerosene_. I suggest kero because if
the tank is outside, and you get a real cold snap - regular fuel oil will
gel and not flow very well. Ask me how I know. Hint: my house might look
like "white trash" now, but it _really_ looked like white trash when I
lived in the mobil home.

At any rate, I wouldn't use any gas (propane, LNG etc.) in the garage if
you do anything that makes sparks (like grinding or welding), don't forget
that these fuels can "pool" in low spots - very dangerous.

If you have a bigger budget, get a "direct vent" type heater appliance. You
don't need to get the place up to 60 degrees... you only need to break the
chill.

FWIW, I still haven't put heat in my garage, but I think about it every
January! Boston isn't that cold, but we do get a visit from time-to-time
from the "Montreal Express".

Good luck!
rml

Bob Lang      | TR 6 Guy           | Editor: New England Triumphs
Phone:        | 617-253-7438 (days)| 781-438-2568 (eves)
Occupation:   | ComputerZ          | TR fixer-Upper