Re: A new arrival: 1980 Spit

To: Tony Gordon <tgordon@saginaw-city.k12.mi.us>
Subject: Re: A new arrival: 1980 Spit
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 19:18:34 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Thu, 30 Sep 1999, Tony Gordon wrote:

> The car is an unfinished restoration with excellent body/frame (all mechs
> running, but electrics all over the place!).  To that end, anyone have an
> idea why the wiper switch will not turn off?  We can get low or high, but
> not off!  And is there a secret to removing the ignition key from the lock?

There's a plunger switch somewhere on the wiper motor that is depressed by
the wiper arms when they're parked.  If this switch is fried, or
something's amiss, the wipers will never "park" and the motor will keep
running.

First thing to check is whether or not the wires to to the wiper motor
aren't crossed or shorted (the park lead is hot all the time, but the run
lead is only hot when the wiper switch is on- if there's a short between
the park & run leads, then the run circuit will get power, and the wipers
will run!)

wipers have behaved well (so far) so I can't help you much with the actual
motor overhaul.

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its new home is:
http://www.islandnet.com/~walker05/triumph/trfaq.htm