Transmission fluid

To: "Triumphs (E-mail)" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Transmission fluid
From: "Randall Young" <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1999 10:26:51 -0700charset="iso-8859-1"
Listers :

About a month ago, there was some discussion of a tech article written by
Ken Gillanders in 1997 describing some problems caused by using synthetic
oil in the TR transmission.
Although I still haven't located my copy of the Triumph Tribune where it was
originally published, I have found a copy of it on TRSC's web site at
http://englishcars.com/trsc/tech%20articles/translub.htm

Basically, it describes two problems, both related to how 'slick' the
synthetic oil is.  Both problems most likely will only show up under racing
conditions, and only particular racing conditions at that.  The problems
were :
1) Jumping out of 3rd gear when braking hard going downhill.
2) Wearing out 1st gear synchro ring after only 20-30 shifts into 1st.

I am not trying to reopen the synthetic vs GL4 vs GL5 vs motor oil debate
again, just passing along some information that might be useful.  If nothing
else, synthetic users now know what to watch for, and it's explanation.

Randall
59 TR3A - OD tranny with Valvoline 20W50 Racing oil