RE: TR3 Temp Gauge

To: "'TR List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3 Temp Gauge
From: "Randall Young" <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1999 11:04:26 -0700charset="iso-8859-1"
Dave :

I agree, the thermosyphon is not necessary to the thermostat to work.  It's
even possible that, as you suggest, the capillary tube and gauge movement
wind up filled with liquid.  As long as there is still some liquid in the
bulb, whether the rest of the system is filled with liquid or vapor really
doesn't matter.  I still think you'll find the gauge movement gets quite
hot, more than can be explained by heat conduction through the tube.

And, I wasn't going to 'touch' the nonsense about having to bleed the oil
gauge feed line, but I entirely agree with you there, too.

Randall

<snip>
> Your original assesment that the gauge actually reads
> pressure is indeed
> correct.  But a thermosyphon action is not required for it to work.
<snip>