Re: lots of EPA ranting

Subject: Re: lots of EPA ranting
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 03 Oct 1999 15:10:33 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
"Paul J. Burr" wrote:
<snip>
> Now, if we can get enough New Englanders to squak, maybe the EPA will back
> down on the California style emission tests we're having crammed down our
> throats.

Paul :

Please note : Californians squawked loud and long enough to have many
provisions of the EPAs plan modified.  You can't blame us if RI hasn't
(yet) !

> I have two choices for my TR6 next year- get the old fart-tin lizzy
> stamped antique plates. These are butt ugly! You're granted smog exempt
> status, but the plates restrict the cars use to parades and club functions!
> NO more Sunday drives for the fun of it.

In CA, everything over 25 years old is exempt from periodic smog
inspection.  No limits on use !

> The other choice is pay the fee for the smog check, wait in line for hours
> and hope by some miracle the car passes.

Make an appointment.  Any service station that has plunked down the
$50-100K for the test equipment should be happy to get a chance to help
pay for it.  If not, find another service station !

> If it doesn't, the car will be
> impounded (i.e.- your registration is suspended on the spot with at computer
> that is linked to the DMV.) and you will be forced to spend up to $250 try
> and fix the car before you can get it back!

Ask for a "pre-inspection test", with the computer link turned off.  A
nominal charge (like $5) for this is OK, but if they refuse to do the
test, or want more than $10, go somewhere else.  Most places around here
do it for free, even though we got rid of the "suspended registration"
business.

<rant snipped>

As I see it, the big problem is that there are plenty of lobbyists
working for big business (the people who own all those smokestacks
belching s**t into our skies) but none working for the average joe.

Don't be too quick to point a finger at the recreational vehicles
either, the EPA is already working on legislation to control them as
well.  Not to mention lawnmowers, barbecue pits, leaf blowers, etc.
Anything that hurts only the (relatively) powerless citizen...

Write your congressman !  (Pen and paper is best)  And tell him that you
are tired of Congress abdicating it's responsibilities by creating
agencies like the EPA and IRS that are not bound by law !  Be sure to
tell him that, since Congress isn't doing the work, they shouldn't be
getting paid ! (That's an attention getter <g>)

Randall