Re: TR6 starting problems( andlots of EPA ranting)

To: "Blake Discher" <bdischer@blakedischer.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR6 starting problems( andlots of EPA ranting)
From: "Paul J. Burr" <tigerpb@ids.net>
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 1999 16:41:11 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"

----- Original Message -----
From: Blake Discher <bdischer@blakedischer.com>
To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Sent: Sunday, October 03, 1999 2:03 PM
Subject: TR6 starting problems

:

> The guy I purchased the car from said that if it ever did not start on
> turning the ignition key, to "wiggle" the shift lever (in the neutral
> position, of course, from side to side) while holding the key in the start
> position.  After several drives, it happened, I did what he suggested, and
> bingo, the car started right up.  Curiously, it started when the lever
> encountered the resistance that is felt when pushing the to the far right,
> as you approach the 'reverse' position.  I asked him if there was a
> starter-interlock on the shift lever mechanism that would prevent the
> starter from engaging and he did not know.

Blake: all USA spec. cars of this era (I prefer "error") had seat belt
interlocks. This might be the root of you problem. Get a wiring diagram,
track it down and disable this mess. These systems caused many problems and
a loud public protests, which caused the fed to back down.
Now, if we can get enough New Englanders to squak, maybe the EPA will back
down on the California style emission tests we're having crammed down our
throats. I have two choices for my TR6 next year- get the old fart-tin lizzy
stamped antique plates. These are butt ugly! You're granted smog exempt
status, but the plates restrict the cars use to parades and club functions!
NO more Sunday drives for the fun of it.
The other choice is pay the fee for the smog check, wait in line for hours
and hope by some miracle the car passes. If it doesn't, the car will be
impounded (i.e.- your registration is suspended on the spot with at computer
that is linked to the DMV.) and you will be forced to spend up to $250 try
and fix the car before you can get it back!
Gee, guess what, only service stations that have invested the $50K for the
equipment will be allowed to do the inspections and the impounding! Think
they're drooling at the prospect of getting their hands on this captive
customer base? Cops, judge, jury and executioner all in a convenient one
stop location!
I'm all for clean air! But here in Rhode Island, smokestack industry has
disappeared. The number of cars registered has stayed the same for 15 years.
Yet the EPA claims that RI must cleanup it's air through a federal mandated
emissions inspection.
Study after study has proved that the worst air quality in RI is not in the
cities- it's near the Atlantic ocean shoreline!
Repeated scientific studies have proven that the worst of the pollution
comes form 2 sources- Manhattan and the big coal fired Mid-western power
plants. Prevailing winds carry the pollution to the RI shoreline, were the
colder air over the ocean forces the pollutants to stall and drop on Rhode
Island. Now the EPA says "Every RI diver will be held hostage, you will pay
a 3X increase in inspection fees, and you will have cleaner air!"
Of course, science and logic predict that the net change in air quality
around here will be Zero, at the cost of millions of dollars and thousands
of wasted car owner hours And the other thing that galls me is that
recreation vehicles (snowmobiles, motor cycles, boats, etc) are totally
excluded from this! I'd bet my right arm that on any summer day there are
more pleasure boats on Narragansett bay than there are antique cars on all
of  RI's roads. We need better lobbyists!
 I just pray that after a few years some twit federal administrator will
realize that nothing has improved and go after the real source of out air
quality problems.Yeah, and monkeys might fly outta my .........