Re: Frame restoration

To: bob simmons <bsimmons@execpc.com>
Subject: Re: Frame restoration
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 1999 09:33:32 -0700 (PDT)
On Mon, 4 Oct 1999, bob simmons wrote:

> 1) weld, grind, and fix the outright noticeable problems (outriggers,
> bent edges.)
> 2) sandblast the frame
> 3) other minor welding, grinding, etc.
> 4) powdercoat the frame
> 5) have it checked, and if needed, straightened.

I would switch 4 and 5; don't want to risk breaking the powder coat when
you straighten the frame (someone enlighten me if I'm wrong- but isn't
powder coat a melted plastic polyester?  If it is, then it might break if
the base metal moves, right?)

> Otherwise, the frame is in pretty good shape.  Should I have it
> straightened secondly, after the first weld, grind?

I would have it straightened after all the major welding is done, to
account for any warping due to welding.  The straightening might involve
some heating too, to stretch or shrink the metal.

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its new home is:
http://www.islandnet.com/~walker05/triumph/trfaq.htm