bad coil - how diagnose?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: bad coil - how diagnose?
From: Aribert_Neumann@magna.on.ca
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1999 09:35:21 -0400

I am getting derivability problems that are getting worse.  I have a Spit bodied
GT-6 with a 2.5L with Webbers and Crane ignition.  The car starts and idles
well.  Car runs well at speed but marginal power to accelerate.  On Sunday I
checked all the high and low voltage ignition wires for corrosion and used
dielectric grease on all.  In doing so, I left one of the wires off of the coil
resistor.  I drove about 50 miles yesterday, mostly in 10 to 15 mi. increments.
A few miles before home the car did not want to rev up under load - coughing and
sputtering with some occasional spitting back thru the carb (back fire without
the explosion).  When I got home I discovered the disconnected coil resistor
wire.  Hooked the resistor wire back up and drove the car to work this morning.
Car still does not want to rev up under load.  By using a few more rev's when
releasing the clutch, the car will accelerate with some sputtering.

I haven't made any adjustments to timing (13 deg. BTDC at idle) or carb jetting
recently.  Also temporarily not in possession of my timing light and multi-meter
so its a bit difficult to diagnose general condition of the ignition.   I had
similar problems a few years back to the point where the car was undriveable and
it was caused by a bad coil.   At that time I scrounged thru my used parts
supply in the attic and found a coil from a '78 Spit parts car that I have been
using since (with the external resistor and Crane ignition).

How do I diagnose if the coil is the problem without swapping in another one?
BTW, I have a new internal resistor coil - can I use it and if so how do I
jumper the existing external resistor?