Re: need GT6 spring (slight correction)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: need GT6 spring (slight correction)
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 1999 10:54:37 -0700
Cc: spitfires@autox.team.net
As correctly pointed out to me by our illustrious Andy Mace (gratuitous
plug), in fact the GT6 swing spring DID have a different part number
originally.  Today the spring is supplied as the same item/part.  I posted
it as such, but in all fairness, so as not to spread any more
misinformation, I thought it better to add this slight correction.  I
suspect that the increase (or decrease, softer ride?) in rates is so small
that it wasn't worth tooling for such a small quantity for any future
replacements.  After all the only difference would be the weight of the
added fuel (the GT's tank is a couple or so gallons larger), additional
metal in the roof (shared somewhat by the front springs as well), the rear
glass, sound padding of the roof, which when subtracted from the weight of
the Spit's trunk and supporting structure (which of course isn't used n the
GT) may not really amount to a whole lot of difference.
It is interesting to note however, the springs for the MK2 GT and the
Spitfire MK III (essentially the same) are Still listed as different
pieces.  But that may be due to the difference in the rotoflex setup, not
spring rates as such.  I do know that if you try to use a swing spring in a
rotoflex car, you MUST modify the outboard leaf retainers/shackles or you
WILL foul the rotoflex joints (don't ask how I know:-}).  that may be part
of the difference, however it's all speculation on my part :-)

72 PI, V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (long term project)