GT6 vs 2000 technical info

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: GT6 vs 2000 technical info
From: "Terry & Cindy O'Beirne" <esp@hypermax.net.au>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 18:50:43 +1000
A query for the technically minded. I need to demonstrate that my race
GT6 has the correct engine block for the year. Help required....

The chassis is KC3153 & original engine was KC3042E

My reckoning is that this early type engine should have; 2" main
bearings (2 different widths), small cam followers, light con-rods, lock
bolt holding in the distributor drive gear bush. Further research
(refer Kastners tuning book)suggest the block height may have been
different between GT6 & 2000 sedan, presumably  to achieve differnt
compressions.

My queries;
1) Does the chassis/engine nos sound like 1968 or 67?
2) Were the blocks really different heights?
3) what is the part number cast into the front manifold side of the
correct MK1 GT6 block?
4) were both early 2000 & GT6 cranks made from EN16 forgings? (note, the
2000 sedan crank had a scroll rear seal (ex Vanguard 6) until about mid
67 whilst GT6 only ever used a lip seal). GT6 & 2000 parts books have
differnt numbers

Thanks in anticipation

Terry O'Beirne