Toyota 5-speed conversion

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Toyota 5-speed conversion
From: Jack W Drews <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 06:01:51 -0500
I thoroughly investigated the conversion available from New Zealand. I
race a TR4 in vintage races and was interested in a longer-lasting
transmission (third gear lasts one to two seasons) and better ratios
(second is too low). Close ratio gears used to be available, but all my
leads ended up in wild goose chases, so please don't respond to me that
there is a source unless you personally know of someone who has
purchased a set (entirely possible, of course). I have watched with
interest as lots of other racers struggled to keep their overdrives
working and I know of at least three of them who gave up racing Triumphs
just because they couldn't cope with solenoids, wires, switches, etc
failing and ruining racing weekend$.

I found that the Toyota transmission is better engineered and should be
much more reliable. However, when I checked out the ratios, I found that
the thing I was looking for just wasn't there -- the ratios are very
nearly the same as those in the TR box, except that there is one more
gear, about equivalent to the ratio you'd get in a TR gearbox in 4th
overdrive. This did not meet my needs.

--
uncle jack
TR4 - 10 mpg