Re: oil note

To: Fred Thomas <vafred@erols.com>
Subject: Re: oil note
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 22:54:51 -0600
Cc: "Philip E. Barnes" <peb3@cornell.edu>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Fred Thomas wrote:

> Michael, diesel engines are exempt from most all state emmission
> inspections, and which large H.D. trucks or cars (diesel) have a cat.
> converter.

Sorry, Fred. Entirely wrong. Heavy-duty vehicles are covered by Federal
law, as defined by the EPA. These rules went into effect around 1994,
and got much stricter in 1996 and 1998, and will get even tighter in
year 2000, since several engine makers got caught diddling the emissions
data. Hate to say it, but it's my business--I work for a company which
builds heavy-duty transit buses.

Cheers.