oil note

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: oil note
From: "Philip E. Barnes" <peb3@cornell.edu>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 12:54:11 -0400

In the latest issue of "Car and Driver" is an editorial concerning oil. The
article is an interview of sorts with a fellow that has considerable
experience formulating lubricating oil for various applications. The
question was raised about the best oil for older cars that don't see much
use. The response was to use a "heavy-duty" oil intended for diesels. The
reasoning was these oils have more additives for anti-oxidation and
anti-corrosion than passenger car oils. The additives apparently have a
detrimental effect on catalytic converters, so have been reduced or
eliminated in "modern" oils. Made sense to me. Perhaps I'll go down to the
local Kenworth dealer for my next oil change.

Phil Barnes (peb3@cornell.edu)
'71 TR6  CC61193L (22 year owner)

Someday we'll look back on all this and plow into a parked car.