Fluctuating Oil Pressure?

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fluctuating Oil Pressure?
From: "D. Michael Scott" <dms@snip.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 22:43:50 -0400
Just bought my '75 TR6  three months ago and still figuring it out.  My
engine has been running great after my valves and timing were adjusted,
actually blowing down the road accidentally from 50 to 87 before I knew
it - when a little irritated with pickup truck on my tail. It's really
cruising well on the highways too in Jersey when necessary.

Only I'm a little worried about oil pressure.  I start out driving
having  great oil pressure, 100 psi cold and then 70-75, but after about
1 1/2 hrs. running it has inched down to 50 and then 40, until it hangs
around 25 to 30  when crusing around 40 to 50 MPH! Call me crazy, but I
want my engine to live on as it had a full rebuild around 8 years ago,
and has about 30,000 miles on it.

A mechanic suggested that the oil sensor may be bad? Seems too obvious
to me, but. I have had problems with the engine getting too hot when
idling in traffic, and plan to do some work on the cooling system.  But
now, wondering if I should install an oil cooler?

Any ideas as to what could be causing this gradual deterioration in oil
pressure?
Any suggestions for a cure or diagnostics?

Thanks for your help, D. Michael