Install Securon Inertia Belts

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Install Securon Inertia Belts
From: "D. Michael Scott" <dms@snip.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 22:27:53 -0400
Just checking on the correct installation  of new inertia seat belts in
'75 TR6 US. My old upholstery has the holes for the lower inner side
hole to bolt down the reel, but no hole in my lower side wheel arches???
The top wheel arch hole is there with the flattened area and the threads
work well.  I also have the the other holes/threads for the other
attachments.

 Maybe the wheel arches were welded over in a previous repair, as there
has been quite a bit of welding repairs.  As I understand, all US cars
for this year came with inertia seat belts and should have the holes and
threads. Victoria British advertises $20 plates they insist you need to
install these belts if never having inertia belts.  I have a big bag
full of plates and bent plates and other new accessories coming with
each belt.  I just don't have the hole in the wheelarch to anchor the
reel!

Should I just go ahead and drill a big hole in the lower inner wheel
arch on both sides and put the bolt through - with one of the plates set
under the exterior wheel well and secure with a bolt????????.  Or am I
crazy for drilling holes???????

Any comments appreciated. I think I'm hole-shy, and rust phobic! D.
Michael