Re: Question re: dash top and facia replacement

To: Beth and Ken <BethKen@erols.com>
Subject: Re: Question re: dash top and facia replacement
From: Martin Secrest <msecrest@erols.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 1999 12:47:42 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Beth and Ken wrote:

> The $45 dash tops that VB sells for spits/GT6...what are they like...how do
> they install?
>
> Also, I'm trying to avois the $250 for a new facia. My thought is to plane
> off the top 1/8" or so and veneer the dash. Anybody out there tried this
> one? My Lotus Europa's dash was veneered originally, so I just removed the
> old venner and re-veneered it. It looked great, and held up. Besides, you
> can get some outrageous, beautiful veneers for a lot les money than one of
> those new dashes.
>
> ken shapiro
> baltimore
> 1970 GT6+ KC81872L

Yeah, you sure can, and for pennies.  Just locate the hardwoods store in your
area and
go look at the selection.  FWIW, a light cherry veneer with satin poly (applied
w/a foam
brush) is very close to stock and looks great.  (The hardest part of the job is
removal/installation of the dash.  Take your time and label all wires, etc.)
Remove old
veneer w/an orbital sander, use ONE good coat of contact cement (to avoid
wrinkling the
veneer), making sure you press it on w/a ROLLER, or else it will lift later.
Also be
sure not to leave any "bubbled" areas in the veneer when attaching it.  Having
noted the
location of the lettering on the dash before you sanded it off, apply the white
press-on
lettering of your choice (14 point, upper case, available at art stores) before
the
polyurethane.  Cut out instrument holes w/an x-acto knife.  Install dash; save
$230.

--
Martin Secrest
73 GT6