Re: TR4A IRS

To: "Richard Taylor" <rgt3000@fuse.net>, "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR4A IRS
From: Trevor Jordan <tjordan@bigpond.net.au>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 22:49:50 +1000
At 8:38 PM +1000 26/10/99, Richard Taylor wrote:
>Dear Listers
>
>I need help in determining the ratio of two IRS axles.  What is the best
>method to determine the ration of the axle without removing the cover?
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Rick
>TR4A CT57505L

If the axle is still fitted to the car, put the car in neutral, jack up one
rear wheel (do not forget to chock the front wheels first), mark the tail
shaft and the raised wheel with chalk, turn the wheel and count the number
of turns needed to achieve 5 turns of the tail shaft.

Divide the number of wheel revolutions by 10 (only one wheel was turning).
This should give you a number between 3 and 4 in most TRs (3.45 and 3.70
were used in TR6s).  If not, then either I have given you the wrong
instructions, you have carried them out incorrectly, or you have a very
unusual diff ratio.

If the diff is out of the car, then adapt the procedure above to suit.

Trevor Jordan
74 TR6 CF29281U