Re: TR3 Oil Leak --- I'm stumped

To: Jeff A Williamson <Jeff.A.Williamson@jci.com>
Subject: Re: TR3 Oil Leak --- I'm stumped
From: Brian Sanborn <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Date: Wed, Oct 27 1999 13:52:13 GMT-0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

>I recently rebuilt the engine on my '60 TR3A. I replaced the original rear
>seal
>with the aftermarket type and had the crankshaft scrolled turned.

SNIP

>I've had the engine running and this doesn't seem to affect the rate or
>quantity of leakage.

Jeff,

I completed the engine rebuild on my TR4 last May.  I also did the oil seal
conversion.  And I noticed a similar oil leak symptom.

I traced it back to a small leak at the oil pressure tap on the oil filter
housing.  The copper washers were not sealing and the oil would leak at the new
high oil pressures of regular driving.  While driving... the oil would
splash/blow back onto the clutch slave support rod and the drivers side of the
rear oil pan. I had to go under the car with a clean white paper towel and wipe
everywhere until I found the oil trace. There was no telltale drip fron the
filter housing.

Once I fixed this with 2 new washers... the washers loose their softness....
most if not all of the leak went away.  I still see an occasional spot on the
cardboard I park over but I write that off to TR design.

If it were the rear seal leaking... I would assume the leak would be from the
drain oil in the bell housing.

Please let the list know how this turns out.  I would really like to know about
any oil leak fixes.

Brian Sanborn
'62 TR4 CT16260  Groton,MA
TR4 Website www.net1plus.com/users/sanborn/home.html