TR3 Oil Leak --- I'm stumped

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR3 Oil Leak --- I'm stumped
From: Jeff A Williamson <Jeff.A.Williamson@jci.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 10:16 -0500
Hop-count: 1
I recently rebuilt the engine on my '60 TR3A. I replaced the original rear seal
with the aftermarket type and had the crankshaft scrolled turned. I re-fitted
the sealing block with new felt and cork tabs. I also used a new gasket and
gasket sealer on the oil pan.

As the car sits for a couple of days, I notice a small spot where oil has been
dripping from the rear of the engine. It appears to be dripping from the head
of the rear center oil pan bolt. I checked over the entire engine and can't
find evidence of an oil trail coming from somewhere else. I also checked the
inside of the tranny bellhousing and it's dry. I removed the oil-soaked bolt
and coated the threads with gasket sealer and re-fitted it. This didn't help.
I've had the engine running and this doesn't seem to affect the rate or
quantity of leakage.

I'm stumped. If I weren't planning to sell the car as soon as the restoration
is finished, I probably wouldn't worry about it. But I'm afraid I'll have
trouble explaining a leak in a freshly restored car to any prospective buyers
--- other than to say "it's a TRIUMPH"!

Any ideas?

Jeff Williamson
Belleville, MI