RE: MALLORY DISTRIBUTER TIMING continued

Subject: RE: MALLORY DISTRIBUTER TIMING continued
From: "Randall Young" <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 10:21:40 -0700charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Nick :

Yes, the timing is normally set for the #1 cylinder.  I don't know the exact
timing spec for your engine (it should be in any manual, but I don't have
one handy), but it's probably something like 5-10 degrees BTDC.  This means
you need the crank set just before TDC with #1 on the compression stroke,
the rotor pointing to the #1 terminal, and turn the distributor body so the
points just open.  I sometimes file a small notch in the edge of the
distributor body, to indicate the location of the #1 terminal.

If you have the rocker cover off, the easiest way to find #1 compression is
to watch for the #4 exhaust valve to start closing as you turn the engine
forward.  Another way is to remove the #1 plug and put your finger over the
hole.  When the air forces your finger off the hole, the cylinder is on it's
compression stroke.

Every cylinder has a TDC (top dead center), but usually only the TDC for #1
(which is also TDC for #4 on most 4 cylinder in-line engines) is marked and
used as a reference point.

Randall