A glorious day in SE Michigan and the tale of woe that preceded it

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: A glorious day in SE Michigan and the tale of woe that preceded it
From: Aribert_Neumann@magna.on.ca
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 14:24:47 -0400

My tale of woe has (hopefully) come to an end on a beautiful, sunny, 70+ deg F
day.   Five weeks ago while looking at the condition of my 4 year old Rotoflex
on the left side of the car I noticed that the 13 week old Rotoflex on the R/S
had split clean thru.  My car was out of service for a week until I could
squeeze out the 5 hours to do the R&R. Two days after the Rotoflex replacement
the L/S axle flange sheared off and took the u-joint out with it while I was on
my way to work.  First time in the 10 years, 70K miles of use where I was unable
to limp the car home under its own power.  Scrounging for parts and time, it
took almost two weeks until I had the left side driveaxle repaired and was back
on the road again.   After 8 days of use, all of them too cold to put the top
down, the pinion gear in the diff sheared a tooth virtually in front of my own
house (on what was to be the first warm day in over a week).  By now I was
somewhat depressed.  Two weeks later I had found enough time in small increments
usually between 10:30 PM to midnight to R&R the diff with a 4.11 Spit diff that
I had laying around.  At 1:15 am this morning I was packing up the tools from
under the car with the car assembled but untested.  After 4 hours of sleep and
an uneventful trip around the block I drove the car to work.  At lunch time I
put the top down and began to enjoy the day.

71 GT-6 with: 78 Spit body, 2.5L, Weber 40DCOEs & misc. other driveline
destroying components