TR3: Another Hose Leak and other Cooling Issues

Subject: TR3: Another Hose Leak and other Cooling Issues
From: "David Moag" <moag@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 16:53:12 -0700charset="iso-8859-1"
Hello listers,

Something is wrong here (probably the DCO). OK -- I had the top radiator
hose go out this morning. Shortly after my email went down -- so I went
about replacing it before getting the suggestions of either loosening the
radiator or removing the thermostat housing to make this easier. With some
pushing and pulling and squeezing and twisting I was able to get the
replacement on without doing either of them.

So I fired it up and went for a 10 minute drive and back home. Parked and
went in the house -- walked back out a few minutes later and the new hose is
leaking!!! After 10 minutes of use!!!First question: could I have screwed it
up by putting it through contortions to get it to fit?

Second question: something seems amiss with my cooling in general. I added
an electric fan with a thermostat, and it used to come on when the gauge is
between 1/2 and 2/3. Now it doesn't come on at all. Maybe it's an electric
issue (have not checked yet), but it also seems to me that the radiator is
not getting hot enough. The thermostat must be opening (otherwise the top
hoses couldn't keep breaking, right?) but I've just got a deep down feeling
that I am not getting good circulation into and out of the radiator. The
temp gauge is going much higher than it did before, and turning on the fan
via my manual over-ride switch doesn't seem to have much effect on it.

Any ideas what I may be dealing with here?

Thanks,

Dave Moag
62 TR3B (having one of those days)
77 Spitfire