RE: TR3: Another Hose Leak and other Cooling Issues

Subject: RE: TR3: Another Hose Leak and other Cooling Issues
From: "Randall Young" <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 17:37:20 -0700charset="iso-8859-1"
Dave :

You didn't mention where the sensor for your electric fan is mounted ...

Most likely explanation is a bad thermostat.  It won't prevent pressure from
getting to the radiator (after all, the lower hose is not blocked <g>), and
shouldn't have anything to do with your upper hose failing, but fits the
other symptoms you describe.

It's also worth checking out the 'reach' of your radiator cap and radiator.
Using an ordinary ruler, measure first from the lip inside the radiator
filler to the top of the filler, and then from the rubber gasket at the tip
of the cap to the top of the cap.  Both measurements should be either 1/2"
or 3/4".  (I believe 3/4" is correct for your car, but I have seen TR3
radiators with 1/2" necks.  Ask Bob Reinhold about it at the next meeting
<g>)

A new hose shouldn't have been hurt by flexing, but one that has been on the
shelf for a long time might be.

One test for radiator restrictions is to drain the system, remove both
radiator hoses, and plug the upper fitting (the palm of your hand will do).
Then direct the stream from a garden hose (no nozzle) into the filler neck.
The radiator should be able to flow most, if not all, of the stream.

Randall