GT6 gearbox

To: "Triumphs List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: GT6 gearbox
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 22:23:38 +0100charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "Chris Holbrook" <cholbrook@ttcautomotive.com>
Listers,

There's an ex-Triumph guy (and one of my former partners in
crime and dishonest dealing) called Chris Holbrook who lives
somewhere in Michigan (I think) and has two sons. They all
drive Triumphs. One son has a TR6, the other has a Spitfire
Six and Chris has a Stag. He sent me the following message
and I know this general subject came up a month or so ago -
but I failed to archive the threads. If anyone can help him
with the problem, please reply to him off list. I've done my
best to persuade him to join and provided him with one or
two contacts he can follow up himself.

Cheers and thanks
Jonmac

Chris wrote to me:

I wonder if you could have a chat to those in the know re
GT6 boxes. There was one spec up to about 1970, and another
form 1970 onwards. what are the differences to the innards,
and what parts are interchangeable.
We are having trouble with synchros on Mark's car despite a
rebuild by a trans repairer.
Secondly, when cold and without the o/d engaged, we
occasionally get a free-wheeling effect. Hit the throttle,
and it goes back to normal, and is fine thereafter. Could
this be something to do with the one way clutch? If
so, how can it do this, and is there a fix? This clutch was
replaced on the rebuild with a good used one, new are not
available.
Is there anyone good you know who could send us a rebuilt
GT6 box with o/d mainshaft and no o/drive, or with an
o/drive. We now have a D type, and a J type would of course
be better. Would they want our box back? What would the
warranty position - don't tell me "desperate". Finally, how
much?

ENDS