So I've broken my first couple of parts...

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: So I've broken my first couple of parts...
From: Dan Buettner/Nicole Cable <nickndan@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 1999 00:06:30 -0500
Finally got my garage repaired a couple of weekends ago.  Some idiot
had built it with the sill about 4-5" below ground level at one end,
resulting in severe water damage and mild termite damage.

But enough about that ... now it's fixed, I have a loft in it for
parts, and, more importantly, the TR3 itself is inside.

I've been working on disassembling things, and have ruined my first
couple of important bits.

First was a master cylinder pedal pushrod.  The fork was stubborn
coming off, and the pushrod is now slightly bent, plus I believe the
metal rod was twisted around a time or two, if that makes sense.  I
don't see a replacement listed by Moss or TRF (just the whole MC,
which I don't think I need).  VB lists just a pushrod, but I am
hesitant to order it from them as my experience with many of their
parts has been that while they are usually of fine quality, they are
usually not as original.  So far as I can tell, these are original
Girling MCs ("Girling" and the part number are stamped on them).

So does anyone out there have an original Girling pushrod (and maybe
a fork) they would part with, or know of a source for them?

And, second -- in disassembling the dash the other night, the only
thing I could not easily remove was the temp gauge with its capillary
tube.  I left it, assuming (correctly) that the other end of the tube
would have to come out of its hole and be brought through the
firewall.

Today, I began taking things apart in the engine area, and for the
life of me I could not get the temperature sender to come out of the
thermostat housing area.  Finally I got frustrated and simply cut the
capillary.

Anyway ... now I have three separate parts: a severed capillary tube,
a temp gauge, and a sender (still stuck in, will face it again
tomorrow).  The fact that they are separate renders them all useless,
of course.

So what do I do now?  If I can get the sending unit out of the
housing, can what I have be mended in any way?

I have read that it is possible to swap in a later gauge (electric).
true?  Is there a source for these?  The Big 3 don't list much for
gauges.

Any tips much appreciated.

Dan
Dan Buettner  -  Des Moines, Iowa  -  mailto:nickndan@earthlink.net

1977 Spitfire, FM64159U. Runs & drives but blows smoke. Lots of it.
http://home.earthlink.net/~nickndan/gmachine/greenmachine.html

1957 TR3, TS15098L. Undergoing a frame-off restoration, begun 9/99.
http://home.earthlink.net/~nickndan/TR3/TR3.html