Re: Decompression

To: "bill williams" <wuffo_97@yahoo.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Decompression
From: "Adrian Dix-Dyer" <dixie4@wales.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 1999 16:36:34 -0000charset="iso-8859-1"
Bill,

Twenty years ago I turbocharged a 2000cc Pinto engine.
The engine compression ratio had to be reduced by one compression ratio for
it to operate correctly.

I had the option of removing the pistons and machining the crowns, buying
new pistons or what follows:

I purchased a piece of 1/16th inch steel plate slightly larger than the head
gasket. Using the gasket as a template I marked out all the holes with a
scriber and drilled the holes out using a pillar drill and various sizes of
bits. The large apertures (ie combustion chambers) I drilled out with an
eighth drill and finished off with a file.

The cylinder-head was then fitted with two head gaskets at standard torque
settings.

The engine produced 235 BHP at 5500 rpm. The gaskets never failed in my
ownership of 3 years.
Sorry, that is not entirely true the first gaskets I used lasted three days
(cheapo rubbish) .Payens used afterward no problem.

The only concern I would have with the TR engine is the possibility of lack
of tappet adustment because the push rods are too short.

I hope this is of use to you.

Adrian
TR4A CT64306