Re: Supercharger Pictures

To: smith007@mindspring.com
Subject: Re: Supercharger Pictures
From: "Donald H. Locker" <dhl@chelseamsl.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 21:48:53 -0500
Cc: tr6guy@juno.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
I did a quick calculation on this and figure that the HD-8 has 2.56
times the flow area of an H/HS/HD-2, so 1.28 times that of dual H-2.
Now the pressure drop available to flow mixture must be similar,
(atmospheric to whatever the Supercharger will pull, vs atmospheric to
whatever the engine can pull) at most maybe atmospheric.  Noting that
this is feeding a 6-cylinder engine with about 1.5 times the
displacement of a 1300, the carb needs to flow at least 3 times the
H-2 rate for the same power per displacement.  Anyway, just for power,
triple H/HS/HD-2 should deliver better (with greater simplicity, too.)
(Just comparing a 2L TR6 to a 1.3L Spit.)

I suspect the real advantage is at lower revs, where great gobs of
torque can be generated with the supercharger flowing that mixture
faster than the the engine could at the same revs.  Whew.  I think I
just convinced myself that this could be an interesting upgrade, as
long as the mechanicals are up to the task.

Donald.