Stereo Headphone Jacks/TR4 History/Woodstock Trip

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Stereo Headphone Jacks/TR4 History/Woodstock Trip
From: "Taffel, Sherman" <STaffel@bcps.k12.md.us>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 12:18:45 -0500 charset="iso-8859-1"
Triumph Listers

Since we all appear to enjoy the Triumph Legacy, one of my most memorable
Terrific Triumph adventures occurred when the car was quite new to me and
young in mileage. It was August of '69, and a friend of my sister's was
riding with me to New York State (my 'ancestral' homeland) from
Norman,Oklahoma (U of Okla). My sister and another couple of friends were
riding in a VW Bug , an an Opel GT Now the TR4 (Signal Red at the time) had
@ 28,000 miles,and I had just topped up the dashpots, added 'headrests', and
since the car had only an AM factory radio- and always traveled 'hood off',
I added a new invention - an 8 track stereo player in the cardboard glove
box (special wiring for the + ground car, neg ground stereo unit- and I
fitted stereo head jacks through the dash under the air vents-(yes the three
connections are left,right, common ground, and I duct tape wrapped the jacks
to insulate the uncommon grounds)
).
As the sun set we were touring NE  Route 66 through SW Missouri-headphones
on-cruising at 4500 rpm in 4th (no O/D) and enjoying the wind, song and
exhaust note- never thought about 'legalities of headsets- how was that
different than pilot headphones or flying caps? After stopping in Rome, NY
to paint my parents house, we proceede down to Woodstock- the TR4 was caught
in the rain-overheated on Rt 17 and so our woodstock was in the TR-4
listening to the latest 8 tracks of the 'performers'.  Of course for years
after-the 'Woodstock Tape became standard equipment for the TR glovebox and
I still have both the unit and the tapes-which still work and will be fitted
to the restoration (but jacks will be under the dash this time-not to mess
uip the new dash)

Sherman D. Taffel
Columbia, MD

The Oklahoma, Woodstock, Santa Fe, Calif, PA
and MD '65 TR4 CT40054L:(bought 12/68 @15K miles)