Re: Slow TR6 overdrive

To: "Paul Mitchell" <paul-m@mweb.co.za>
Subject: Re: Slow TR6 overdrive
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical-iwnet@lineone.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 23:24:13 -0000charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "List Triumph" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Hi Paul
Have you done all the usual checks fluid / leaks?
Do you have A or J-type O/D as this makes a difference. Apparently the A has
to loose less oil than the J before it stops working due to the difference
in the pick up point for the pump.I have an A type that takes minutes to
engage (too damn cold to care about
it) but last time I looked I found the filter was clogged right up, turned
out just like a sand castle. The PO had the box built by an expert and the
pratt must have used two or three tubes of Blue Hylomar!!  I also had a
problem with a J type O/D when the solenoid innards started to unscrew,
after a few weeks it started to drive as an auto and about 5 minutes later
it didn't go at all. As my A type has never worked right I cannot vouch for
those but my J comes in like a rocket even at slow speeds. A friend of mine
recons the A should be faster than a J, I recon it would have to be
psychic!!

Graham.