RE: Spitfire and Midget Engine

To: "'Joe Curry'" <spitlist@gte.net>, Davies William-qswi646 <William_Davies-QSWI646@email.mot.com>
Subject: RE: Spitfire and Midget Engine
From: Davies William-qswi646 <QSWI646@email.mot.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 15:39:54 -0000 charset="ISO-8859-1"
Cc: "'Ken Waringa'" <kwaringa@dynsys.com>, MG <mgs@autox.team.net>, Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>

> Bill,
> Please correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the Midget 1500 gearbox
> different from that of the Spitfire.  I think it has to do with the
> space differences in the two cars for mounting the gearbox.

Joe,
        You could be right - my experience with Midgets ended with the 1973
example I had. I know the 1500 Spitfires from 1975 shared their gearbox
design with the Marina (I guess you never saw these in America, and you
didn't miss much!) and the Midget and the Dolomite. There were certainly
detail differences in mountings and gear ratios, so there is a good chance
they were not directly interchangeable.
        Cheers,
                Bill.

    /============\      William Mark Davies,
   /              \     RF Approvals Engineer,
 _/                \_   Motorola GSM Products Division,
/  \______________/  \  16 Euroway, Blagrove,
\__/ _____  _____ \__/  Swindon, SN5 8YQ, UK
\____________________/  Mobile      :  +44 (0) 7971 626491
 | |              | |   Email       :  William.M.Davies@motorola.com

" Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does
not become a monster. And when you look long into the abyss, the abyss
also looks into you. "
                           Friedrich  Nietzsche