Spitfire and Midget Engine

To: "MG" <mgs@autox.team.net>, "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Spitfire and Midget Engine
From: "Ken Waringa" <kwaringa@dynsys.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 07:26:01 -0600charset="iso-8859-1"
I'm going to look at a 71 Spitfire this afternoon.  I've been looking at the
VTR site to get some info before I go.  I read that the Mk 3 Spitfire has a
1296 cc engine.  I know my 74 Midget has a 1275 cc engine.  Are these
basically the same engine?  Are the transmissions the same?

My son drives the Midget to college daily, but I think the tranny is shot.
It's making a lot of bearing noise, so I need something else for him to
drive until I can get the Midget repaired.  I have a spare gearbox, just
need the time to change it.  My TR6 isn't close enough to being on the road
to finish up this weekend.  I figure if I've got to buy something for him to
drive, I might as well stay with a LBC.  Besides, spring break is coming up
soon, and since we live at Panama City Beach, the LBC makes him real popular
for cruising along the beach with the top down.

Just curious about the engine and tranny.

Thanks,

Ken Waringa
71 TR6 (painted and being put back together)
74 Midget (broke)
71 Spitfire (Maybe????)