re: Vitesse/Herald Chassis bits

To: "Triumphs List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: re: Vitesse/Herald Chassis bits
From: "Daniel Elder" <Vitesse6@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 18:14:58 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
When I did the frame rebuild on my 64 Sorts 6, I bought the 4 outriggers and
1 side rail from Rimmer. The 4 outriggers originally shipped fit perfectly.
One however did not have the hidden nut inside it. When I got them to send
me another (I had to pay in advance) the one sent had the nut but was a
totally different item. Very poor quality and fit. I ended up fixing the
defect on the original and using it as the replacement was not acceptable.
The side rail that came with the original shipment was a poor fit. I ended
up using part of it to repair the original one. It would not have been an
adequate replacement as the body mounting holes were not even in the correct
place.
To return the defective items is cost prohibitive from the US so I still
have part of a side rail and a poorly made outrigger in my scrap metal bin.
My conclusion is that Rimmer (and possibly others) have different quality
parts at different times. Having said that, when I have had trouble with
other parts I have always found Kipping to be very helpful and they have
shipped replacements immediately at their cost. Rimmer has not been as
accommodating to me. I would therefore order from Kipping. If you get a bad
part you will have less trouble getting the problem sorted out.
Dan Elder