TR4 tire size (was Re: TR6 wheels on a TR4A)

To: ryoung@navcomtech.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR4 tire size (was Re: TR6 wheels on a TR4A)
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 17:52:34 EST
In a message dated 02-Feb-00 20:46:23 Eastern Standard Time,
ryoung@navcomtech.com writes:

> Looks pretty good, except 205/70 tires strike me as a little tall for a TR4.
>  I believe your original tires would have been 155/80 (like my TR3A), which
>  makes the 205/70s about 1.5" taller.  They will also make your speedo read
>  low by about 6%.

The original tyres on a TR4 were:

Goodyear 6.95 X 15 "G.P."

Dunlop 165/6.5 X 15 "S.P"

Michelin 165 X 15 "X" (these were steel belted radials w/ a 40K warranty- I
got 60K out of the first set I had from the factory in '64)

I replaced my Michelin's the last time in '92 with Michelin XZX 165 SR 15's.
They look similar to the old Michelin X's ( and two replacement sets of the
same) which I always had on there from new.  Michelin no longer makes the
Michelin X tires and I am now finding it a problem to locate Michelin XZX's
in the 165 SR 15 size.  Cheers.

Art Kelly