RE: Temporary Fiberglass Footwells?

To: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>, "Spitfire List" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Temporary Fiberglass Footwells?
From: "Bill Miller" <millerb@netusa1.net>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 20:48:37 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Jeff,

Back in 1984 I "boat glassed" the floor board of my '76 vega GT.  I first
treated it with some "magic" German chemical that changed rusty metal into
some inert black epoxy stuff.  Then I glassed both front floorboards (only
the drivers side needed it)  When I parked the vega out in the barn several
years ago, I pulled the carpet to check the floorboards, "just for fun"
Still looked like the day when I did it back in 84.  And very solid.  As far
as adhering to the metal, who cares if your going to cut the pans out and
replace them anyway :)  If they do adhere well (and I don't think they will
that well, except where the epoxy actually goes through the floor) it will
probably add to the structural stability as well :)

Bill