Re: A little of everything: engine, archives, listers in Virginia

Subject: Re: A little of everything: engine, archives, listers in Virginia
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2000 20:41:20 -0800
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Stephane St-Amant wrote:

> Anyway, I discovered something odd while taking the engine out.  Since I got
> the car 3 months ago, I always thought that the engine was seized (couldn't
> turn the pullies at the front no matter how hard I tried).  But today, I
> noticed that the flywheel was spinning, not freely, but like it was actually
> tunring the crankshaft and all, but still, not movement from the front pully
> (the one where the fan attach to). Is it normal???

Steph :

I'm afraid that is bad news.  Your crank is broken.  Most likely, it
broke when the engine seized, which may mean the block is no good,
either (ie broken rod, etc.).

By all means, take it apart before doing anything else, the problem(s)
should be pretty immediately obvious with the pan off.  But, I'd start
looking around for another engine to rebuild.

:-{#
Randall