Sealants

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Sealants
From: Transmancat@aol.com
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2000 20:29:17 EST
Hi Guys
The recent mail about gaskets and sealant has encouraged me to put in my . 02
cents worth. Hylomar is a great product and I have been using this for the
past 25 years. BUT, Hylomar (Permatex) also makes a very similar looking
product that is nothing more than another silicone sealer. This is the one to
avoid. Silicon can be a real problem blocking up oil passages, etc., so it
must be applied very thinly. The original Hylomar does not gel like a
silicone so you are pretty safe, but once again it should be applied in very
small quantities, and NEVER on fuel systems.

A better choice of sealant if any of the anaerobic type. These will not set
unless the air is excluded. Therefore they only work in the places that they
were intended for and at all other times they remain liquid.

Regards,
John J, Black
http://www.waterloo-dtr.com
Agents for  Vicarage  Jaguar