Re: II.Electrical Snafu-Don't Turn the Heater On!TR6

To: "D. Michael Scott" <dms@snip.net>
Subject: Re: II.Electrical Snafu-Don't Turn the Heater On!TR6
From: Rob Christopher <robc@cisco.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2000 10:31:03 -0500
Cc: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Michael,

Scary bit of deja vu here.  I, too, just bought a TR6 last June, and it's a 74.5
(registered as a 75), and the PO told me not to use the heater as it blows
fuses.  I never did test his honesty by trying the knob myself.

Now the point.  While tearing apart my transmission a few weeks ago with the aid
of our local TR "Doctor" (thanks again Brian), I happened to mention this.
Without a second's hesitation, he went to his reference library of Hilroy note
books, turned to the exact page he wanted, and gave it to me, saying "Just do
this."

The solution is to remove the switch from the dash.  The top of the switch has
two spade connectors, one had a wire on it (green I think) the other is unused.
When you pull the knob out, both of these top connectors suddenly have 12V on
them.  The switch, when installed in the dash, is also very, very, very close to
contacting the bottom metal part of the dash, ie ground or 0V.  If the switch is
twisted even slightly, it creates a short when you pull the knob and blows the
fuse.

To solve this, break off the spade tab that was unused and spread some silicon
on the top of the switch body to insulate that connection.  You need to also
spread some silicon on the other top connector.  Just enough to insulate the
part of the tab not covered by the connector on the wire under the dash.  You
can also use heat shrink to insulate this one.  Put the switch back in and all
should be OK.

I haven't tried this myself, as the TR is in storage and my garage is unheated
(hey it's only -10C today!!, spring is coming)

Let me know if that does it.

Rob Christopher
74.5 TR6  CF27218UO
Ottawa, ON

--
 Rob Christopher   |       |           |       |   robc@cisco.com
 ASIC Verification |     .|||.       .|||.     |   (613) 271-3585