Re: Philosophical Question a/k/a "The Money Pit"

To: kengano@mcleodusa.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Philosophical Question a/k/a "The Money Pit"
From: "" <greenman62@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2000 10:11:48 PST
>From: "Ken Gano" <kengano@mcleodusa.net>
>Subject: Philosophical Question a/k/a "The Money Pit"
>Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2000 10:26:58 -0600
>
>I have reached a crossroads to the never-ending quest to see the TR3
>actually run, and, once again I am looking to my friends on this list for
>moral direction.
>
>As a matter of general principal I have spared no expense on this project,
>which is a big reason this has been 5 years and counting :).  That's not so
>much to show off as a general feeling that anything worth doing is worth
>doing right and an appreciation for quality.  Well, the time has come to
>purchase tires (tyres.)  Tires are the last real impediment to the car
>actually running down the road.
>
>When I price tires I find a huge range, all the way from $25 to $250.  When
>you multiply that by 4 or 5 the figure becomes significant.  A good friend,
>in the business, suggested that even cheap tires, when new, are "pretty
>good" and for the realistic mileage I will be putting on, the extra costs
>of
>"name" tires was not justified.  Another big consideration is that I'm
>growing impatient and the idea of being able to be on the road literally
>months sooner is very appealing.  I find myself resisting though, for the
>simple argument that everything else on the car is top shelf, why skimp on
>something as important as tires.
>
>I can appreciate that this is the type of decision that is very personal,
>but I'm anxious to tap the collective wisdom of this group to hear the
>arguments both ways.
>
>TIA
>
>Ken Gano
>TR3A (almost)
>TR10 (if I should live so long)

Ken,

   When I finally got my TR4 on the road, I was using the original
   steel wheels at that time I opted for a Continental (radial) the
   looked like the Michelin X radials the were available at the time
   the car was made (actually after the fact I was told the the
   moulds for these particular tires came from Michelin). When I
   bought the Panasport wheels I opted for BFG comp TA HR rated
   radials, because that was what I could afford after buying the
   alloy rims. The BFGs were excellent tires. When it came time to
   replace them I went with Goodyear VR/ZRs hoping to get a bit more
   stick. I was disappointed. I presently am back with the BFGs.
   They provide excellent stick and ride comfort. See if you can find
   a set of the old Comp TAs as I think BFG has reformulated them.

   Remember though, the worst tire you can buy today is much better
   than the best tire you could buy when your 3 was new.

   Greg

Greg Petrolati Champaign, Illinois       1962 TR4 (CT4852L)