RE: Reason for buy 'Anthter' TR...

To: spitfire4@ix.netcom.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Reason for buy 'Anthter' TR...
From: Day.John@fin.gc.ca
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2000 16:18:21 -0500 charset="iso-8859-1"
After having my 1976 TR6 since 1979, I figured I would not be swayed by the
attentions of another. Then one day in the spring of '98, I encountered
'her' - a 1958 TR3A. After having bought Bill Piggott's sidescreen
'Compendium' at his home in Nottingham in 1995 and having read about the
exploits of these cars, I thought I should seriously rethink my position. I
learned of the 3A through a friend in the club: sadly, one of our members
passed away at 52, and his family did not want 'his' car but wished it to go
to an enthusiast. I figured at that point the best car to buy was one that
would otherwise not have been for sale. The car was an original
overdrive-equipped, and had wire wheels and a factory hard top. All that I
could expect in terms of options.

Needless to say, both cars now occupy a special place in my heart (&
garage!). Even my wife, who at first was against the idea of 2 TRs (and
that's putting it mildly!!) when there was home remodelling to be done, is
now possibly more fond of the 3A than the TR6. I since added a parts car 3A
to the menagerie (to go along with the remnants of 3 previous TR6 parts cars
I've bought up & sold off), and I'm way, way behind in my cataloguing
efforts. The two cars are 18 years apart, and they drive like two different
eras as well. I would summarize to say that you buy more than one Triumph
for the different sensations offered by the particular model, and you buy
more than one of the same model to ease the cost of keeping that same model
running (though I have been accused of 'hoarding' parts, eh Mike?).

You sound like a younger version of myself, Doug. Keep up the good work.
Cheers! JD

(p.s. - all the above aside, I'd kill for a single DB5! :-))