re: Adding Gearbox Oil - TR3 & POR15

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: re: Adding Gearbox Oil - TR3 & POR15
From: Dan Buettner <danb@thelittlemacshop.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 09:07:37 -0600

>If you do it from underneath you have to factor in the mess of the GB oil
>that drips on you (there's something in GB oil that has a pervasive smell
>that motor oil lacks).
>
>Art

I think the smell is a nice reminder that oil, at its most basic
level, consists of dead fish.

Millions-of-years-old dead fish to be sure, with some plants &
dinosaurs mixed in, but dead fish nonetheless.

As for POR15 -- I have to confess my ignorance.  It sounds like it's
a rust-protective paint of some sort, yes?  What are the advantages
of it over, say, Rust-Oleum?  And where does one buy it?

Dan

Dan Buettner  -  Des Moines, Iowa  -  mailto:danb@thelittlemacshop.com

1977 Spitfire, FM64159U, now with an O too. Runs & drives, but shakes
like crazy; needs new tires and a steering/suspension rebuild.
http://home.earthlink.net/~nickndan/gmachine/greenmachine.html

1957 TR3, TS15098L. Needs an O. Undergoing frame-off restoration begun 9/99.
http://home.earthlink.net/~nickndan/TR3/TR3.html

1988 Honda Civic 4WD Wagon. Gets me to work and back home again every day.
No home page. (go figure)