Checking oil levels (was Adding Gearbox Oil ...)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Checking oil levels (was Adding Gearbox Oil ...)
From: cak@dimebank.com (Chris Kantarjiev)
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 15:21:31 -0800
After years of trying to calibrate my pinky (and failing) and
getting tired of filling until the oil dribbled on the floor, I came
up with a special tool (Dimebank Garage p/n DBG443-2). I'll
tell you how to make your own:

Take a wire coat hanger and cut out the bottom. You now have a length
of stiff wire. Make two 90 degree bends in one end - the first about
3/8" from the end, the next about 1" from the first. Voila! You're
done. To measure oil level, insert the bent end into the hole
and pull down until the horizontal section bottoms on the
hole. Remove and read the oil level.